Friday, April 26, 2013

Broccoli Bites! aka my yummy green pebbles :) - Dehydrated

I came across this recipe from 'Raw food recipes' the other day and I just had to try it! I have only made sweet 'bites' or truffles before and I needed some more savoury nibbles to experiment with and get me through those daily cravings where you reach for any food in reach no matter what it is. Well I think I will be searching for these! They can be round balls or eve biscuits/crackers, I kind of made flat balls so called them my little green pebbles sort of like how you can get those sugar coated coloured almonds EXCEPT these are RAW, NUTRITIOUS, and basically awesome! :) What I did was slightly different to the recipe I found...


Broccoli Bites

2 cups of broccoli florets chopped ( I used a whole broccoli)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup pepitas
1 brown onion diced
1 large clove of garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
cracked pepper to taste



Process the sunflower kernels and pepitas in a food processor until crumb like (its ok if you leave them slightly bigger, I like the texture!), you can use a coffee grinder if you have one.


Add the broccoli, onion, garlic, olive oil, herbs, nutmeg, salt and pepper and process until combined and smooth (well as smooth as it can be!) for around 45 seconds.



Leave in the fridge for an hour, then roll into teaspoon sized balls and flatten slightly on a dehydrator tray lined with baking paper or paraflex sheets. I made about 60 of these!!

Place in dehydrator for 2 hours, flip over and dehydrate for another 2-3 hours depending on how crisp you like them :) you can make these thinner or fatter, they store for about a month either way :)


If you don't have a dehydrator you can place them in a moderate oven for around 10-12 minutes I haven't tried the oven way so please watch them as they may need more or less!

I actually think these taste like a dip, they remind me of summer BBQs where you sit around with family and friends enjoying each others company over the taste of savoury treats waiting for your main to cook. I can't wait to experiment with others!


I made these on ANZAC day, not quite the traditional ANZAC biscuits but I thought the green symbolled our green land we have? It was a beautiful sunrise for the dawn service though, I have to share with you...

Beautiful Busselton, Beautiful Australia :)



I am currently soaking some whole raw oats to make different flavoured 'bites' and pebbles with, stay tuned for more flavours! .... I think I need a dinner party with all these :P any takers??

Rockin Raw
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment