Sunday, May 19, 2013

Quinoa Flake Porridge with Cacao & Berries

While I love my raw buckwheat, oat and chia seed breakfast I have heard so much recently about Quinoa flakes and the wonders of another superfood from the Inca's! So naturally I bought myself a pack of Organic Quinoa Flakes to try :)

 
Quinoa are at least 13% protein which makes a great breakfast option and can be increased with the addition of nuts and seeds and of course but totally optional, 'Sun warrior protein powder!!' (can you tell I love it? :P) Like many other foods, the less handled it is the higher the nutrition content meaning whole quinoa (not flakes) are even more nutritious. The flakes are still nutritious and good for on to go cooking. They are a good oat substitute for those who are gluten intolerant.

To prepare my quinoa flakes I mixed 1/3 cup of flakes with 2/3 cup boiling water and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Then I added a teaspoon of cacao powder, shredded coconut and raw protein powder (optional) topped with mixed berries! In love with rice milk I also added some milk to help mix the protein power in better :)

 
The flakes are quite bland on their own, you can just have the flakes on their own without the extra's or top with some honey and stewed apples, banana, cinnamon or berries, maybe  a mix of sunflower seeds, pepitas? I love the extra goodness in my quinoa flake porridge :)

 And the close up... :)


Rockin Raw
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment