Thursday, January 9, 2014

Vegan Falafels by Dr Libby

Dr Libby's Real Food Kitchen Cookbook is fast becoming one of my favourites! In honesty I have been confiscating mums version of this cookbook and drooling over the delicious and nutritious recipes and meals she provides. I came across this recipe for Falafels which I had to try first using organic raw chickpeas which were soaked and cooked from scratch. The recipe instructs to cook the falafels in enough oil to cover the base of a pan, but I found the extra oil made my falafels fall apart and they held there shape better with minimal oil, just enough to let them go golden :)

 
Ingredients

375g dried chickpeas, soaked 10 hours or cooked
One bunch of fresh parsley
One bunch of fresh coriander
One stalk of celery chopped
One brown onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped

1 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp spelt flour (I used millet flour)
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/4 cup sesame seeds

Method
Process the chickpeas, parsley, coriander, celery, onion and garlic in a food processor until well combined. 

 
Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the baking powder, spelt flour, ground cumin and sesame seeds until well combined. I just mixed them in the processor bowl :)

 
Heat a little olive or coconut oil in a large fry pan, roll the falafels into small balls and flatter with a fork in the pan. Cook each side around 2-3 minutes until golden. Place on paper towel to cool :)





These made quite a few! I have frozen most to mix into some salads for lunch or dinner in the coming days, these are quite simple but very tasty thanks to the herbs and spices. The picture below is a standard lunch I have been making this week with spinach, capsicum, mushrooms, cucumber, avocado olives and falafel mixed into the salad topped with savoury yeast flakes (which taste like cheese!!) and turmeric :) love it!


I can't wait to try more of Dr Libby's recipes!!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment