Monday, September 30, 2013

Paleo Day 1

After contemplating through my new Paleo recipe book as well as my Raw cookbook, Alkaline book AND Superfoods book (yes i am rather addicted to healthy 'cooking' ;)) i made up a weekly guide to my Paleo meals and excitedly had a trip to the Supermarkets!

You really appreciate just how much of the shops is refined, processed and packaged foods. I spent 75% of my time and money on fresh fruits and vegetables from garlic, fennel and kale to the essential sweet potato and dates and the other 25% on nuts, seeds, coconut, eggs and seafood! I couldn't help but feel proud of my trolley as i passed others with their cokes, icy poles and instant meals! My trolley came to $65 which can be seen as a lot for one person, i could have budgeted better if i tried but that is for next time, i am on a Paleo mission and restocking the kitchen with nuts and meats is never a cheap expedition.


So what did i eat today?

Breakfast was a delicious & simple scrambled eggs with coconut oil with chopped banana, blueberries and sprinkled with coconut and cinnamon! A little mix of sweet eggs which is not the usual but so delicious :) I was well ready for my gym workout afterwards!!


Lunch i enjoyed some raw and dehydrated flaxseed crackers i had dried overnight using flaxseeds, chia seeds, carrot and sesame seeds. This was topped with avocado, roast beef left over from yesterdays dinner, kale and some chopped carrot on the side, very simple!

Raw Flax seeds crackers

Snacks was walnuts, 2 dates (my weakness) and i had a go at cashew milk which is easier to make than almond milk as you do not necessarily have to strain the milk! It is a more creamier texture too, simply soak 1/2 cup of raw cashews for at least 2 hours and blend in a blender with 1 1/2 cups of water and a little maple syrup or agave nectar (or vanilla essence) until smooth. Store in a container (or mason jar!) in the refrigerator for 4 days :)

And with my cashew milk i added some spices and cacao and made a mild Choc-Chai milky tea, so good!

Cashew Milk

Dinner was back into my alkalising meals, after a big weekend of indulgence i felt like something cleansing and made Fennel and Pear soup. An odd combination for many but it is actually really good! So i keep making it :) Fennel is very alkalising and cleansing for the body as well.


And that was my first full Paleo day... apart from avoiding sugars, pasta's, grains and bread not much has changed in what i ate! I love trying new recipes and new foods and can't wait to keep going :)

Stay tuned! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment