Saturday, February 9, 2013

Top the Week with Raw White Christmas Macaroons

Wow what a week it has been! So many milestones for me have happened all in my first week of 5th year med in Busselton. It has been an amazing experience already and it is only just getting started! I spent the week on the maternity ward and helped deliver my first babies and scrubbed in on a caesarean section! Carried out neonatal checks on newborns, examined beautiful baby bellies, home visits checking on bubs, I was such an eager beaver for the great experiences I spent most of my Saturday in the hospital and did my first cannulation and bloods for the year which were a great success! Thank goodness after a hard time last year, maybe a break was needed to boost my confidence again :) The doctors have been outstanding and after being apprehensive about approaching doctors in Perth for learning and experience I find myself being swept up by doctors and nurses so enthusiastic to teach us before I can literally say hi! The best part is all this was happening and I was still able to get through my second week of my weights program! I had to readjust with 7am starts and do workouts in the evening which was a bit of a mind challenge after hard days but getting there was the hardest part and once I was there it was all systems fired to go!

I'm not sure if its possible to start seeing results after 2 weeks but I can start to feel them already... after the soreness the next few days wears off!

Are my biceps growing?? I try with good food! :)
I have to admit by Friday night I was exhausted and a little overwhelmed by the year ahead but taking it day by day is the best way to go and the experiences each day brings make the tough times definitely worth it.

One thing I need to incorporate into my days again is my raw food, I haven't been able to experiment with as many raw recipes as I would like the past few weeks BUT I am still settling in and have a few ideas for the week ahead :) What I would like to share with you is a recipe my cousin made who is doing some amazing experimenting with raw food! The recipe below is open to interpretation and what fruits and flavours you like but this one (with estimated amounts of ingredients used) was a winner!

Raw White Christmas Macaroons

1 cup dried apricots and mixed fruits
1/3 cup mixed Sunflower seeds and pepitas
1/4 cup Coconut butter
1/2 cup macadamia, brazil nuts and almonds
2 cups Shredded coconut
3 pitted and soaked dates + water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup Agave (or honey)

Method

1. Soak the dates in water for about 30 minutes in order for them to soften up.

2. Pit the dates, mash them and add enough water to form a paste. You can use a fork and some elbow grease but it is easier in a food processor.

3. In a food processor combine the coconut, coconut butter, nuts, date paste, dried apricots and fruits, vanilla, cinnamon and agave until combined. You may like to add a little extra water is the mixture is too dry.

4. Roll the combined ingredients into truffle sized balls, and they are ready to eat!

5. Optional you can dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8-12 hours or overnight and wake up to a lovely smell of coconut... yum :)


In the words of my cousin... these are 'Rawesome' ;) Thanks for the recipe!

Rockin Raw
Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment