Monday, February 25, 2013

Lessions from Labour

There is so much you can learn about life, and when witnessing labour and birth you can appreciate the little miracles life can bring. One thing labour teaches me is although we have the ultimate destination of delivering a healthy child, no matter how hard and painful the journey is, it is the journey that counts and determines how the outcome will be, and the journey is what we must follow the most.

One lady I followed in her labour journey started at 10pm and finished at 8am the next morning. I had the medical student hope to help successfully deliver a healthy baby. As the night progressed I felt a little foolish thinking the lady was having her third child so I shouldn't be here too long after an already busy day. While most students just come for the birth and leave, I found myself being actively involved in supporting the lady, I had my had squeezed until it would break, I massaged her cramps in her legs, comforted her in the epidural and contractions, and I thought how silly I was to only want to see the birth, it is the journey that gives you the most experience and helps you appreciate the end result!

And you know what happened? After spending 9 hours by her side, I ducked out to get a bite to eat, she delivered, and I missed it. At first I was heart broken, but once I congratulated her and helped deliver the placenta, that is when I realised how important the journey is for all of us. It is what makes the little miracles in life complete. And in my case, missed opportunities can come again and maybe the opportunity wasn't the destination but the journey itself.

Two nights later I followed another lady throughout her labour for 17 hours from 7am to midnight... I was there for the whole journey and after learning the unpredictability of labour before I didn't leave her side. Then the bonus opportunity came when almost myself with the doctor guiding me I delivered a healthy baby boy! The journey is worth it no matter how long it takes or how hard it may be, and while the lady wanted to give up part way through I admired her strength to mentally tell herself to keep going and the reward was a beautiful start of their new family.


Live your journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment