Friday, December 13, 2013

Coconut Yoghurt - Homemade :)

In summer there is nothing better than a cool drink or food to help through those summer days. yoghurt is a good alternative to ice cream, but home made dairy-free yoghurt is something I have wanted to try for a while!!

Most true yoghurt recipes have cultures and probiotics in them making them a little harder to make. I was quite happy when I found a version of this coconut yoghurt recipe which although does not have the cultures good for you digestive health, is still full of goodness of raw coconut and cashews!!


Coconuts are full of electrolytes (particularly the coconut water) which are great for rehydrating our bodies and fuelling us for the day. They also contain anti bacterial and anti fungal properties which are great for digestion in themselves! It has also been proven to have anti cancer properties :) Coconut Water has been regarded as more nutritious than whole milk – Less fat and NO cholesterol!
And did you know coconut water is a universal donor– Its apparently identical to human blood plasma!
This Coconut Yoghurt is getting better and better :) So this is the recipe I used...

Ingredients
Flesh of 1 young coconut
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup coconut water
1 Tablespoon maple syrup


I have to thank my dad for opening the coconut and getting the flesh for me (even if it cost us a snapped knife!!)


Blend the ingredients in a food processor until smooth, mine took 8-9 minutes as the mixture takes a while to get smooth. Mine was still a little on the rough consistency but I quite liked it like that :)
 

 I have loved mixing this yoghurt in with my breakfast whether it be chia pudding, overnight oats, porridge or on top of pancakes it add a delicious flavour!! Plus it is great with raw banana ice cream as a desert (see post to follow soon!!)

Mixed in with Chia pudding, cinnamon and banana :)
I will get to the cultured home made yoghurt one day but for now I am happy with my super food dairy alternative :D Enjoy!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment