Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fennel and Pear Soup

 I don't know about you but until recently I had no idea what a Fennel was!
So when I came across a Fennel and Pear soup, I was curious, not only did I not know what Fennel was but the combination with pear in a soup too? But I love it, believe me when I say it is so good both in taste and in health you have to try it!


Fennel is a highly aromatic and flavoursome herb with culinary and medicinal uses and it is the bulb-like stem base that is used as a vegetable. The bulb provides support to the liver for cleansing and is regarded as one of the most alkalising foods, great for regulating the acidic foods we consume everyday!

The combination of fennel and pear provides abundance of potassium, the most alkalising of all minerals and helps regulate our body fluids and preventing dehydration at the cellular level. They are also both high in pectin which helps to draw toxins out of the body. The creaminess of the combination and rich flavours makes it hard to believe there is nothing naughty in it at all!

Fennel and Pear Soup

Pear and Fennel soup topped with some asparagus, broccoli and parsnip :)
(Serves 2)

1 large Fennel bulb, trimmed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 1/2 cups (600ml) vegetable stock (the recipe I used had the stock made from 1/2 tsp organic vegetable bouillon powder, but any stock you have will do :))
1 pear, cored and chopped

Slice the fennel into small pieces leaving a few larges pieces to garnish the soup.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic adding 3 tablespoons of the stock when it starts to dry out.

Add the chopped Fennel and another 3 tablespoons of vegetable stock. Then add the pear and remaining stock and bring to the boil. Simmer covered for 40 minutes until the vegetables and pear are tender.

Transfer the vegetables to a blender with the liquid (you can leave some out if you like a creamier soup but I use it all) and blend until smooth.

Serve garnished with the left over fennel and a drizzle of olive oil, or as in the picture above I sometimes add a few different vege's on top, enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment