Thursday, October 10, 2013

Raw Chocolate Cake with Raw Strawberry 'icing' (Jam)

I am a sweet tooth, I have no doubt about it! And I love muffins, and cupcakes, and cakes in general. Being on a 2 week Paleo challenge I have resisted the urge to make Paleo muffins also to see if I can resist my baking cravings for at least 2 weeks. I have to admit it has been hard some days and on Day 10 I thought 'why don't I make a raw cake instead??' So I looked through my various (multiple!) recipe collections and found a raw 'flourless chocolate cake'. It was actually easier than I thought and doesn't even require nut soaking time!!

I made a strawberry icing out of chia seeds the same as the raw strawberry jam recipe topped with delicious blueberries... it was a perfect muffin substitute!!

This is the original recipe for a full cake but I made 1/3 of the recipe and it turned into a nice 9x9cm cake 1.5cm thick which has lasted me 3 days :)

Raw Chocolate Cake + Raw Strawberry Icing


Raw Chocolate Cake with Raw Strawberry 'icing' (Jam)

1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecans (I used walnuts), unsoaked
Dash of salt
8 pitted medjool dates, unsoaked
1/3 cup unsweetened cacao or carob powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp water
1/2 cup blueberries to garnish (or any berries you like!)

Put the walnuts and salt in a food processor fitted with an S blade and process until finely ground. Add the dates, cacao and vanilla and process until the mixture begins to stick together, I had to add a tsp of water and a hint of cashew milk (I had it on hand). Add the water and process briefly.

Transfer to a serving plate and form into a cake around 15cm in diameter. Really you could make any shape you like, I might make a heart next :)


Decorate as it is with coconut, berries, cinnamon, banana, chocolate sauce, or strawberry icing!!

Raw Strawberry 'Icing'

This is actually a recipe for Raw Strawberry Jam but used as icing for this cake!

1 1/2 cups Sliced Strawberries
4 Tablespoons Chia Seeds
3 Tablespoons Water
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1 heaping Tablespoon Raw Honey or Agave

In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds with the water and vanilla. Mix and allow to soak for 20 minutes. Add the chia mixture to the blender with the rest of the ingredients.


Blend until just combined and still a little chunky. Pour into an airtight container and allow to sit in the fridge for about an hour to allow it to firm and gel up a bit more. Keep stored, covered, in the refrigerator. Will keep well in the fridge for up to a week.


The chocolate cake itself will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator or 2 weeks in the freezer but bring to room temperature before serving :)

You could also try moulding half the cake, adding a layer of fruit then the other half of cake on top as a layered chocolate cake.

I will definitely be making this again!! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment