Friday, January 25, 2013

One Step Back, 2 Steps Forward

There are times when no matter how much you want to move forward, the past will pop up to challenge you, but it’s what you do with the challenge that will ultimately enable you to move forward.

This past week has seen me take a step back into things I thought I had left behind over the holidays, and although hard at first I feel I have come out better because of it. So instead of focusing on the things that made me go backwards, I am going to tell you about the parts of my week which although small helped me both physically and mentally to move forward…
  1. I brought up my buckwheat, oats and cacao powder and had raw soaked choc-banana breakfasts – simple and delicious! with some raw brownie of course ;)
  2. Although my gym membership expired I made it to 2 good weights sessions and had lovely morning contemplative walks along the river 
  3. I am making progress with my foot injury and after seeing the sports doctor I have a 3 month goal in site 
  4. I have planted 2 seeds, one for a possible overseas medical elective in the coming year and the other for supporting a local health organization in the South West community, both linked to my possible career future path as a doctor 
  5. I have caught up with wonderful friends in Perth who I will keep in touch with throughout our year apart (only measured in meters!) and met my fellow housemates and medical students who I am spending my year with in the South West hospitals (much excitement here!!) and with these people will come many wonderful experiences 
  6. I bought my first Raw and organic protein powder!! After hunting I could not find the Sun-warrior raw protein powder I aim to try, but instead am trialing the Raw ‘Garden of Life’ protein powder and will definitely let you know how it tastes! PLUS I found ‘vital greens’ Super-food powder but after finding out it was more expensive than i thought i settled for a single serve sample to try also... with a few other goodies to keep me going :D
Raw protein powder and Vital Greens
Oxygen... i may need a subscription!
AND I had some retail therapy and salsa dancing – what more does a girl need to get through life’s little challenges?? 


'Because Life is a Dance from One Stage to the Next'

My lovely friend and I on our way to salsa!

Captured... The joy dancing gives :)


And after reading my happenings in the past week I think… how on Earth can this be a step back!?! Nope it is full steam ahead! Now whenever I feel like I am moving back, I will write what is making me move forward and trust me on this one, if you do too you will then go further than you have ever been before :) 


My posts and food experiments will be less frequent in the coming weeks (less than 2 a day with internet haha) as we make the transition back into medicine and into a new routine studying outside of Perth. I am so excited for the move and the amazing opportunities which await me and my fellow medics in our coming year in rural areas. I could have written about many things in the past week but lack of internet meant I had to have a few days away from the laptop (how dependent we are on technology!!... a technology detox could be in sight), but future posts will be more involved with health linked to what I learn while studying, my experiences and of course integrating nutrition and exercise into everyday life!

You know what else i have decided? While finding a new happiness in dancing, this year i am going to Sing like no one is listening and Dance like no one is watching!


BUT...

 

Music no matter in what form is a powerful tool, it enables us to express emotions, deal with changes, relate to each other in events in our life no matter how far apart or how different we may be. It can get you pumping for the gym, that burst of motivations needed to do the dishes or get through study or to work, bring friends together, be at the heart of relationships, gets us through life's challenges.... what doesn't music do!? The best part is We all dance to our own beat of life whether we know it or not. So on my drive home while my feet may be telling me to stay off the dancing for a little while, i decided to sing!! I couldn't help it no matter how cliche it is, it seemed like a perfect way to reinstate what this year will bring  with a little Lady Gaga to remind me that this is who we are... 'Born This Way!', and proud of it :) 


I can't believe i showed you! (Please note all attention was still on the road which was empty!) Hopefully this will put a smile on your face with my out of tune notes but i hope if anything it may persuade you to sing yourself either figuratively or literally (try literally though it is fun :)). And remember that no matter what dance moves you've got or what voice you have been given, don't waste it but simply use it to dance and sing in anyway you can! Life is not meant for us to hold back... get out there and just do it :)

Rockin Raw
Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment