Monday, November 19, 2012

Chia Seed Porridge - Raw


Since I do not have a dehydrator (yet), I have decided to invest more experimenting and trialing in Raw breakfasts. I have always loved my muesli, fruit and yoghurt and still do! But I am excited to start branching out and unleashing myself to the world of variety and of course wonderful raw nutrition to kick start the day! This morning I was up early and short of time before a long trip up to Geraldton, but found this very quick and easy recipe for Chia porridge! I didn’t really know what to expect to happen to my Chia seeds, would it turn into a mush of cottage cheese? Would it be like grated rubber? These don’t sound very appetizing to anyone, but the end result I could only describe as Christmas in a bowl! It literally looked like Christmas with wonderful its colours and I was pleasantly surprised with the taste… yum!! Here is what I used…

Chia Seed Porridge

1/3 cup chia seeds
2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp organic shredded coconut
¼ cup chopped almonds
1 Tbsp pepitas
½ tsp cinnamon

Topping
2 Strawberries sliced
Small handful of Raspberries
Dried apricots


Method
Mix Chia seeds with water in a breakfast bowl and mix straight away to avoid clumping. The seeds will gradually thicken over 1-2 minutes as they soak up the water. Add the coconut, almonds, pepitas, cinnamon and stir in. 

Strawberries, coconut, apricots, pepitas and almonds at the ready
Chia seeds and water... no clumps!
Top with fresh strawberries, raspberries and anything which tickles your taste buds!
Add some almond or cashew milk or you can leave it as it is like I did and eat it right away.
You can also add a teaspoon of honey or some dates for more sweetness and flavor. I would love to mix it up more.
Add the extras to the porridge
And enjoy your Chia porridge, Bliss :)
 I even managed to salvage a little for my mum and sister to try. But no doubt i will be making more!


The beauty is no two porridges can be the same! Try adding chopped banana, blueberries, kiwi fruit, mango, grated apple…. The possibilities are endless! Maybe even cacao powder, a chocolate porridge… yum J

No comments:

Post a Comment